In June this year, two Canadian sisters Noémi Bélanger, (25), and Audrey Bélanger, (20) travelled to Thailand and to a resort on Phi Phi Island. After a night out on the beaches, the two girls were not seen again until a hotel maid used her pass key to access their room and found them both dead.
Thai authorities took the matter quickly into hand and, working together with the Canadian Embassy, investigated the deaths thoroughly and completed a series of forensic exams to establish the cause of death before the sisters were returned to their homeland.
At that time and subsequently, authorities have honoured the reported wishes of both the Canadian Embassy and the family of the deceased by not revealing the contents of their reports. However a pair of “keen” Canadian reporters claimed to have gained unique access to the reports and went on to report that the girls had been killed asa result of ingesting DEET, a chemical compound usually applied to the skin to dissuade Mosquitoes from biting.
The story made world headlines despite Local reports that any information the journalists might have gained could well have been misinterpreted in translation . Even when eminent toxicologists pointed out that the amount a person would have to digest for them to die from Deet poisoning was massive, they were sidelined .
Now Canadian Pathologists have confirmed, in a coroner’s report, that the levels of Deet, a pesticide,, found in the bodies of two dead sisters was NOT the cause of their death.
In Quebec . a coroner ruled that their deaths were accidental, caused by some form of poisoning, and that Its likely that they had indeed ingested something which had poisoned them, but it was not DEET as the concentration of DEET within their bodies was not sufficient to have been fatal
The sisters from Pohénégamook, Canada., had only just arrived on the Thai Island and were last seen partying with two Brazilian friends in the early morning of June 13. Those friends have subsequently left the kingdom.
At the time, investigators reported that there were no signs of anything untoward having happened involving other parties in their room, but there was evidence that they had suffered from a toxic reaction to an unknown substance
According to Canadian newspapers,; “Dr. René Blais of Quebec’s poison control centre said the DEET concentration reported by the Thai pathologist doesn’t correspond to a concentration that would be toxic, “let alone a concentration that would be fatal.”
Secondary autopsies were conducted in Montreal, but the results haven’t been released.